Looking for easy steps to defrost your Kenmore refrigerator? This article guides you through on how to defrost a Kenmore refrigerator and how its different components work.
Where Is the Adaptive Defrost Control Board on a Kenmore Refrigerator?
The adaptive defrost control board, or a defrost timer, on a Kenmore refrigerator is found inside the temperature control housing within the fridge section of your refrigerator.
It could also be behind the kickplate, underneath the doors or it could be in the compartment of the compressor, under the refrigerator. It depends on the model of Kenmore refrigerator you have.
This video is a detailed replacement process for an adaptive defrost control board on a Kenmore refrigerator…
How to Adjust the Defrost Timer on a Kenmore Refrigerator
To adjust the defrost timer on a Kenmore refrigerator, do the following:
1. Turn off the refrigerator by unplugging it from the wall socket. Leave it that way for about 30 seconds.
2. Open the fridge section of your refrigerator. You will see the thermostat or temperature control knob. Turn it to 0 or Off.
3. Plug the refrigerator back into the wall socket to turn it on. Leave it for about 8 seconds to completely adjust the timer. Then, turn the thermostat on again.
What to Do When Kenmore Refrigerator Auto Defrost Is Not Working
Check the defrost timer. If it stuck on the cooling mode, that means it is broken and needs to be replaced. Your refrigerator will not defrost with the timer stuck in the cooling mode.
But if the defrost timer is working fine, then check the defrost heater. It melts away frost that accumulates on the coils. And if the evaporator coils are frozen, there will be poor airflow and the defrost cycle will not work properly. Use a multimeter to check if it still has continuity.
However, if the heater has continuity, check the thermostat. If it still has continuity when you test it with a multimeter, the problem is your control board.
Check these parts and if any of them is faulty, change them. Doing this will get the defrost cycle of your refrigerator up and running again.
How to Defrost a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator
To defrost a Kenmore side by side refrigerator:
Step 1: On the control panel in front of the refrigerator, press the key that decreases the temperature of the freezer. This will reduce the temperature in preparation for defrosting. Leave it that way for about 24 hours.
Step 2: Remove every product or food item in the refrigerator. Then unplug it from its power source. Always do this to stay safe and protect your unit.
Step 3: Remove every part of the freezer that can be removed.
Step 4: With a gentle dish soap and soft sponge, clean out the unit thoroughly. Sanitize it further by cleaning it with a mixture of baking soda and water. Allow it to air out a little.
Step 5: Put The parts you removed back into their right places. Then, plug the refrigerator back into its power source.
It is important to note that most Kenmore refrigerators defrost automatically.
Check out these other in-depth articles on defrosting other refrigerator brands…
- How to Defrost Samsung Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
- How to Defrost a Miele Fridge [In Minutes]
- How to Defrost Frigidaire Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
- How to Defrost Your Maytag Refrigerator [Quick Guide]
- How to Defrost a Whirlpool Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
- How to Defrost Electrolux Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
How to Defrost a Kenmore Refrigerator
To defrost a Kenmore refrigerator, do the following:
1. Remove every food item in the refrigerator, both the freezer and fridge sections. Store them by wrapping them in papers and putting in coolers.
2. Turn off the unit by moving the temperature dial to Off or to the defrost setting. Open the doors of the unit and place a tray or pan with thick rags around it close to the freezer. This is to collect dripping water.
3. To speed up the defrosting process, put a pan or bucket of hot water inside the freezer. Always empty the pan or tray you placed close to the freezer to collect dripping water.
4. When all the ice melts, clean the unit thoroughly with gentle dish soap and water. Allow it to dry.
5. Then, turn the refrigerator back on and set the temperature. Give it time to adjust to the set temperature before you put back the food items into it. This takes at least 24 hours.
This process also works for Kenmore mini-fridges.
Learn how to manually defrost your refrigerator quickly and easily…
How to Force Defrost a Kenmore Refrigerator
To force defrost this unit, take the following steps:
Step 1: Turn the refrigerator off by pressing the on/off button on the control panel.
Step 2: Simultaneously press the water filter reset button and the on/off button for about 3 seconds. The refrigerator will enter diagnostics mode, with the water filter display showing ‘test #1’.
Step 3: Push the water filter reset button 5 more times to get to #6. That is the defrost mode. The heater will come, initiating the force defrost cycle.
On some other Kenmore models, like the Elite models, you will have to press the refrigerator door switch 5 times within 2 seconds to enter this mode. You will hear a beep from the control panel, alerting you that the unit has entered the forced defrost mode.
How to Clean the Defrost Drain of a Kenmore Refrigerator
To clean the defrost drain of this unit:
1. Unplug your refrigerator from its power source or turn off your house’s circuit breaker.
2. Find the drain of the model of your Kenmore, either beneath the false bottom or the behind the back panel of the freezer.
3. With a sturdy wire about a foot long, probe the drain to remove any dirt or object that could be blocking it.
4. Mix a teaspoon of bleach and a little water and squirt it into the drain. You can use a syringe for this. Do this until the water dripping into the drain pan is clean. The bleach/water mixture sanitizes the drain.
5. Close the refrigerator and plug the refrigerator back into its power source or turn on the circuit breaker.
How to Defrost Kenmore Refrigerator – Related FAQs
Where Is the Defrost Heater Assembly on a Kenmore Refrigerator?
The defrost heater assembly of this unit is found behind the back panel of the freezer section. It is around the evaporator coils.
How Long Is the Automatic Defrost Cycle of a Kenmore Refrigerator?
The automatic defrost cycle of this unit lasts for about 20 minutes. It turns on every 8 hours. This is applicable to all models of Kenmore refrigerator.
Where Is the Defrost Drain on a Kenmore Refrigerator?
The defrost drain on this unit is found behind the back panel of the freezer section. You will have to open the panel to gain access to it.
Kenmore Elite refrigerators, however, have their drain under the false floor of the refrigerator.
Where Is the Defrost Thermostat of a Kenmore Refrigerator?
The defrost thermostat of this unit is found beneath the base of the fridge for models that have the freezer on top of the fridge. And for models that are side by side, the thermostat is found behind the rear panel of the freezer section.
Where Is the Defrost Timer on a Kenmore Side by Side?
The defrost timer on a Kenmore side by side is in the compartment that houses the temperature control. It is in the fridge section of your refrigerator.
Where Is the Defrost Drain of a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator?
The defrost drain of the side by side unit is found behind the back panel of the freezer section of your refrigerator.
Need expert help? Click here to use the chat box on this page to speak with a verified appliance technician right away. No need for expensive in-home service calls. No appointments. No waiting.