While a Sub-Zero refrigerator is a good refrigerator brand, it could develop defrost problems. Therefore, we discuss how to defrost a Sub-Zero refrigerator in this article.
How to Defrost a Sub-Zero Refrigerator
The following are steps to easily defrost the freezer of a Sub-Zero refrigerator:
1. Turn the unit off by unplugging it from the wall outlet or tripping the circuit breaker off. Then, open the door of the freezer.
2. Remove the food items in the freezer and store them somewhere else. You can store them in another freezer if you have access to one or in a well-insulated cooler. But you will have to keep them cold by using ice packs.
3. Place thick rags or towels inside the freezer or around it on the floor outside it. They will absorb excess water during the defrost process.
4. Leave the door of the freezer open for the duration of the defrost process. Doing this helps the freezer defrost faster.
5. If you want to shorten the duration of the process, place one or two bowls of hot water into the freezer. They will make the ice defrost faster. You can also scrape the ice off with a wooden spatula to make the time even shorter.
6. Clean the interior of the freezer when all the ice has melted. Dry it completely. Mop up any water on the floor and empty any drip pan if necessary.
7. Close the door of the freezer and plug the unit back into the wall outlet or turn on the circuit so that there is power supply to the unit.
If your refrigerator is frost-free or no frost, there is no need to defrost it manually. The unit defrosts automatically so there is no buildup of frost in it.
Contact an experienced refrigerator technician to assist you if the defrost process is proving difficult. We have technicians you can chat with for assistance. You can also contact the Sub-Zero service center to request service.
Remember to switch the unit off by unplugging it from the wall outlet or shutting down the circuit breaker. This is the first step in safety from electrocution.
Additionally, if you have work gloves, wear them to protect your hands. Doing this is necessary when working on electrical appliances.
Check out these other articles…
How to Defrost a Sub-Zero Refrigerator – Related FAQs
How Long Is the Defrost Cycle of a Sub-Zero Refrigerator?
The defrost cycle of a Sub-Zero refrigerator lasts as long as 20 to 30 minutes. This is when the defrost heater turns on to heat the evaporator coils to melt off any ice or frost that has accumulated on them. Doing this keeps the coils from freezing and the unit working optimally.
Where Is the Defrost Timer in a Sub-Zero Refrigerator?
The defrost timer in a Sub-Zero refrigerator is found at the back of the unit, close to where the compressor is located, at the bottom. However, the location could vary, depending on the model or series you own.
Here is a video on how to replace the defrost timer in a Sub-Zero refrigerator…