If you are looking for how to defrost your Maytag refrigerator, this guide will show you how to do so easily…
Where Is the Adaptive Defrost Control Board in a Maytag Refrigerator Located?
The adaptive defrost control board, or defrost timer, in a Maytag refrigerator is located in the housing of the control panel. It is inside the fridge section, on the ceiling part of the refrigerator.
What to Do if the Automatic Defrost in a Maytag Refrigerator Is not Working
If the automatic defrost system in your unit is not working, then check the heater assembly. A faulty heater means frost will pile up on the coils and airflow will reduce, leading to increased frostiness. Call a repairer to change it if this is the problem.
Also, check the defrost timer. If it is broken or stuck in the cooling mode, that will explain the poor defrosting cycle. Change it if this is the case.
Additionally, the control board could be the problem but this is rare. Still, let a professional take a look at your refrigerator to determine if this is the case.
How to Force Defrost a Maytag Refrigerator
To force defrost a Maytag refrigerator, do the following:
1. Open the doors or door, depending on the model, of your refrigerator.
2. Hold the door switch or switches down until you see the display in front go blank. Next, press the key that decreases the refrigerator temperature (-) 3 times within 10 seconds before releasing the door switch.
3. The display screen will show ’f’ and ‘d’ which mean forced defrost. Press the temperature decrease key (-) again to confirm you want to force defrost your refrigerator. The letter ‘s’ will appear and it stands for ‘short cycle’. You can change it to a long cycle by pressing the key that increases the refrigerator temperature (+).
4. Press the temperature (-) key again so the defrost cycle can start. Then, close the door or doors of the unit.
How to Defrost a Maytag Refrigerator
To defrost a Maytag refrigerator, take the following steps:
Step 1: Disconnect power to the refrigerator by unplugging it or shutting off the circuit breaker.
Step 2: Remove all the edible items, along with every other item, inside the refrigerator. Wrap the edibles up in paper to keep them cool for a longer period.
Step 3: Place a pan or tray with rags at the edge of the refrigerator. This is to effectively absorb water that forms from melting frost.
Step 4: Give the unit time to defrost. But check from time to time so you can empty the water tray. Depending on the amount of frost, the tray will need to be emptied to avoid water spillage.
Step 5: When all the ice is melted, clean the unit thoroughly. Set the temperature you want and put the items you removed back into it. Then, turn it on.
Remember to set the refrigerator temperature to the lowest about 6 hours before you start the defrost process. This will freeze edible items and preserve them for longer.
How to Unclog the Defrost Drain on a Maytag Refrigerator
To unclog the defrost drain on this unit, first find out what is clogging it. If the water in it is frozen, then thaw it by squirting hot water into it with a syringe. You should know, though, that this also means the defrost heater is faulty and needs replacement.
But if it is dirt clogging it, use a stiff wire to gently prod it to get the dirt out. Pour a mixture of water and bleach down the drain to thoroughly clean it out. Keep pouring until clear water runs out.
Learn how to effectively unclog the drain line of your refrigerator from this video…
Check out these other in-depth articles on defrosting other refrigerator brands…
- How to Defrost Samsung Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
- How to Defrost a Miele Fridge [In Minutes]
- How to Defrost Frigidaire Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
- How to Defrost a Whirlpool Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
- How to Defrost Hitachi Refrigerator [Quick Guide]
- How to Defrost a Kenmore Refrigerator [Detailed Guide]
How to Defrost Your Maytag Refrigerator – Related FAQs
Where Is the Defrost Heater Assembly in a Maytag Refrigerator?
The defrost heater assembly is right under the cooling coils, behind the back panel of the freezer section.
Where Is the Defrost Drain in a Maytag Refrigerator?
The defrost drain in this unit is found on the rear wall of the freezer section. It is in the middle of the point where the floor of the freezer slopes to meet the back of the freezer.
Where Is the Defrost Thermostat in a Maytag Refrigerator?
The defrost thermostat in this unit is found right on the end of the evaporator. It is there so it can regulate the coolness of the evaporator, to keep it from getting warm. This will make the airflow good and regular.
How Long Does It Take to Defrost a Maytag Refrigerator?
For an automatic defrost cycle, it takes between 25 and 30 minutes, once or twice a day. But for a forced defrost cycle, it will depend on the refrigerator and the ice buildup. Some could take hours while some will need to be left overnight.