In this article, we take a look at how to defrost a Fisher & Paykel fridge. So if you have been looking for ways to do this, read our article.
How Long Is the Defrost Cycle of a Fisher & Paykel Fridge?
The automatic defrost cycle of a Fisher & Paykel fridge lasts as long as 20 or 25 minutes. But a manual defrost cycle takes hours, depending on the process and the level of ice buildup. If there is a lot of ice, it could take as long as 24 hours. However, you can shorten the time by putting a bowl of hot water in the freezer and scraping the ice with a wooden or plastic spatula.
How to Defrost a Fisher & Paykel Fridge Freezer
To defrost a Fisher & Paykel fridge freezer, follow the steps listed below:
1. Switch the fridge freezer off at the wall outlet or from the circuit breaker panel. Then, remove every frozen food item in it. Store in a cold place such as another freezer or an ice-packed cooler. Do not change the temperature setting.
2. Set a pan to collect dripping water and towels to absorb excess water. To make it easy to reach inside the freezer, remove the bins and shelves. However, this is optional. Leave the door of the freezer for the duration of the defrost process.
3. If you want to cut short the defrost time, put a bowl or two of hot water in the freezer. They will help melt the ice faster. You can also scrape the ice off as much as you can using a wooden or plastic spatula. Do not use any metal or sharp object for this purpose.
4. Wipe the freezer until it is completely dry after the defrost process. Leaving moisture or water to refreeze is not advisable.
5. Switch the fridge freezer on again and allow it to resume normal operation fully before putting food in it.
6. If your Fisher & Paykel fridge freezer model has an ice box, there is a defrost button right in the middle of the temperature control knob. Push it to start the defrost process. For this, there is no need to switch the unit off.
How to Replace the Defrost Element in a Fisher & Paykel Fridge
The following are steps to replace the defrost element or the defrost heater in a Fisher & Paykel fridge:
1. Gather Your Tools
You will need a new defrost heater assembly, a pair of needle-nose pliers and a nut driver set. You will also need good work gloves.
2. Switch the Fridge Off
Put on your work gloves and unplug the fridge. If you cannot unplug it from the wall outlet, switch off the circuit breaker.
3. Empty the Freezer
Pull out the spacer that holds the shelf in the freezer in place. Then, push a little to the left to release the shelf’s right side from the holding holes. Remove the shelf.
If there are bins and other shelves, remove them to make room for access to the back panel.
4. Open the Back Panel
Unmount the screws that hold the cover of the evaporator coils in place. Then, pull it down and disconnect the wire harness of the evaporator fan which is connected to the cover. Also, disconnect the wire harness of the ice maker and the green ground wire. Take the cover out of the way.
5. Uninstall the Old Heater
Disconnect the wires from the heater and loosen the two straps that hold the heater in place at the base of the evaporator coils. Lift the coils a little in order to slide the heater out from under them.
6. Install the New Heater
Lift the coils a little again to slide the new defrost heater in under them. Tighten the two traps you loosened earlier and push the coils back into position. Reconnect the wires to the heater and also reconnect the ground wire and the wire harness of the ice maker. Then, reconnect the wire harness of the evaporator fan.
7. Close the Back Panel
Close the cover of the evaporator coils and mount the holding screws back in place. Then, put the shelf back in and replace the spacer. Replace any other freezer shelf or bin you removed.
8. Switch the Fridge On
Plug the fridge back into the wall socket or turn on the circuit breaker. Give it time to cool again.
Here is a video demonstrating how to replace a defrost heater…
Check out these other articles…
Defrosting a Fisher & Paykel fridge can be quick and easy if you follow the steps in this article. Remember to contact a professional refrigerator repair agent if fixing any part of the fridge is difficult.
Chat with our experienced refrigerator technicians who can assist you, no matter the refrigerator problem you have.
Always unplug the fridge whenever you want to fix anything or replace any part. Wear work gloves, if you have any, for extra protection.
How to Defrost a Fisher & Paykel Fridge – Related FAQs
Where Is the Defrost Sensor Located in a Fisher & Paykel Fridge?
The defrost sensor in a Fisher & Paykel fridge is usually found at the top of the evaporator coils. You will find it clipped to the copper tube through which the refrigerant flows.
Where Is the Defrost Drain in a Fisher & Paykel Fridge?
The drain in a Fisher & Paykel fridge is inside the freezer section of the unit. It is at the base, right under the evaporator coils. You will have to open the inside back panel of the freezer to see the coils. It is just under them.
Where Is the Defrost Heater in a Fisher & Paykel Fridge?
You will find the defrost heater in a Fisher & Paykel fridge fixed under the evaporator coils of the unit. You need to open the inside back wall of the freezer section to see it.